Delicious Beetroot Brownies
This week at Friars we have been trying something a little bit different: Beetroot Brownies! Containing less than half the fat of regular brownies, we thought we would share this delicious recipe with you.
• 500g of raw beetroot
• 100g of unsalted butter
• Vanilla extract
• 250g of golden caster sugar
• 3 Eggs
• 100g of plain flower
• 25g of cocoa powder
• 100g of dark chocolate- we chose our fabulous 70% Lindt Excellence Bar
1. Start by removing the top and tail of your beetroot, before peeling. We highly recommend that you wear rubber gloves for this part to reduce the risk of staining your hands!
2. Roughly chop the beetroot and place into a large bowl, adding a splash of water before covering with cling film. Next, microwave the beetroot on a high temp for around 12 minutes or until tender.
3. Heat your oven to 160c/gas mark 4. Whilst waiting for your beetroot to cook, lightly butter a cooking tray for your brownie mixture to be placed in. Once this is completed, break the chocolate and butter into cubes.
4. Once the beetroot is cooked, tip into a sieve to drain the excess water. Next, place the cooked beetroot, chocolate, butter and a tsp of vanilla extract into a food processor. Whizz the mixture until smooth.
5. Next, mix the sugar and eggs into a large cooking bowl until the mixture becomes thick. Once complete, spoon the beetroot blend into the bowl, before folding both mixtures together.
6. Following this, sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl. Fold together until a smooth batter is formed.
7. Finally, pour the batter into your cooking tray and bake for around 25 minutes, or until the mixture has risen. Once cooked allow to cool and cut into squares.
We decorated our brownies with drizzles of Lindt A Touch Of Vanilla white chocolate which added a nice creamy contrast to the deep chocolate taste of the brownies.
We have adapted this recipe from the BBC good food website http://goo.gl/xtcWcX.