Gorgeous Fruit Scones
With the tennis well underway, we have been baking traditional fruit scones this week to celebrate! These fresh, light and delicious scones make the perfect match for watching Wimbledon, especially with this gorgeous weather we have been having. So why not give them a try yourself!
• 450g of self-raising flour
• Baking powder
• 85g of caster sugar
• 100g of butter, diced
• 284ml of buttermilk
• 100ml of milk
• Butter, jam and clotted cream for serving- we suggest using our scrumptious Tipsy Strawberry and Champagne Jam
• Preheat your oven to 200c/gas mark 7 and lightly flour a large baking sheet.
• Next, tip the self-raising flower into a large bowl, with your baking powder, sugar and half a tsp of salt. Mix the ingredients together.
• Following this, rub the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until it is completely blended together. Once completed add your sultanas.
• Stir your buttermilk and milk together, before adding to your flour mixture. You are best stirring these ingredients together with the blade of a knife to make a soft dough.
• Once the dough is made, tip onto your flour surface, patting until around 4cm thick. Make sure you do not knead the dough or roll it, as this will remove the air from the dough.
• Following this, the mixture needs to be cut into round circles and placed on your baking tray, ensuring space if left between them. Next, brush the top of the scones with some milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake for around 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
• Leave to cool.
• Now for the fun bit… Serve with butter, jam and clotted cream!
This recipe is adapted from the BBC Food Website- http://goo.gl/AoFhp9