Celebrating Our 90th Birthday
Ye Olde Friars has now been trading for 90 years! Founded in 1927 by William Long as ‘The Gift House’ gift shop it soon change its name (1929) to the more recognisable ‘Ye Olde Friars’. It has adapted over the years from a café come chocolate shop to a specialist luxury chocolate shop.
The business has been in the Webster family since day one and currently has four family members working in the business. One of the most significant changes came in the late 80’s to early 90s when Gina Webster joined the business. Gina came to England from Germany and married John Webster and with that transformed the business in terms of product and displays. The Keswick shop doubled in size and kept growing and growing.
More recently Ye Olde Friars in Ambleside (nearly 3 years old) was created which took the business to the south lakes. As well as the new store our online business is also seeing great results, so much so it now operates from its own specialist site.
Here’s to another 90 years!
Ye Olde Friars Ambleside opened in 2015